• For players of grade 6 and above, admission is by audition
• Daily individual instrumental coaching as well as sectional and full rehearsals
• Optional Jazz, Chamber Music or Singing available each evening
• Extensive range of social and sporting activities, includes swimming and a Malvern Hills walk (COVID restrictions may apply)
• Full board and accommodation, all music and transport between venues is provided
About the Orchestra
It is possible to graduate from NSSO Academy without aspiring to early membership of the NSSO Philharmonic. In this way, players can progress through the organisation at their own speed and are offered promotion at an appropriate time in their own personal musical development.
Members are typically of secondary school age (though talented younger musicians are not excluded), playing at or beyond grade 6 standard. The orchestra provides an outstanding opportunity for these young musicians to play repertoire which is likely to be beyond the ability of their school or local ensembles; repertoire chosen with great care, so as to challenge but not overwhelm the players.
The course takes place on the Malvern College campus and is closely modelled on the hallmark NSSO format. At the start of the course, members work with specialist instrumental coaches to help meet the technical challenges of the music, before joining together in sectional rehearsals led by our Sinfonia Heads of Section. The ensuing full orchestral rehearsals are thus carefully prepared for and very positive experiences.
Music is at the heart of the NSSO Sinfonia experience, but there is also a really strong, inclusive activities programme organised by experienced pastoral staff. Much of that programme is shared with members of the other orchestras and takes full advantage of the leisure and sporting facilities of the College, which are second to none.*
*Following our 2021 COVID procedures, some of the social activities may be changed or altered.