This page outlines the requirements and guidance for recording and submitting your audition video.
To audition for The National School Symphony Orchestra 2023, we need you to send us a continuous, unedited video, up to 8 minutes duration playing two contrasting pieces. Don’t worry if your video is a bit longer than this but the panel will only be able to listen to the first 8 minutes.
Deadline for 2023 applications is December 1st 2022. However, the deadline for Bursary applications is the 31st December.
If you have been to a NSSO course before then you will automatically be accepted onto NSSO this year and offered a place in an ensemble which the panel feel is most appropriate for your current standard, subject to available spaces.
If you do not gain a place on the ensemble of your choice you will be refunded your deposit.
That all seems simple enough! But, here are a few guidelines to help you make the best possible recording, in order to do justice to your application.
- Most smartphones, tablets and laptops will be suitable for making the recording.
- You can film in landscape or portrait format, but make sure that you are central to the picture – avoid very wide shots with lots of background and you as a small dot in the middle! Take care, too, not to film yourself close to a bright light source.
- Make sure that you tune your instrument properly before you start recording.
- Once you start the recording you should not stop it until the end of the audition. The video must not be edited in any way before you submit it.
- If the composer wrote an accompaniment (e.g. piano) you should perform with it; you can use a backing track if you have one.
- Announce the name of the composer and the title of the work before each of the two pieces.
Checking You’re Happy:
- When you have finished everything, check that you are happy with your performance and the quality of the recording before submitting it for the audition.
- In assessing your recording we are looking for your personal musical qualities – technical achievement and expressive understanding – not the production values of the recording.
Before submitting your audition video, please check your video complies with the information below:
- Ensure the file is no bigger than 2GB in size.
- The file format should be one of the following: .MP4, .MOV, .WMV or .MPG.
- The video file name should contain the first and last name of the player auditioning and the instrument. E.g. John-Smith-Violin.MP4
Submit Your Audition
When you have recorded your audition and checked you comply with the guidelines and technical criteria on this page, please submit your application using the button below.
If you have any queries or questions about your audition, please contact us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support Uploading Your Audition
1. After you’ve clicked the ‘SUBMIT MY AUDITION’ button above, click ‘Select files’ on the popup.
3. Wait until your file has been uploaded. A message will appear confirming your submission when it has completed successfully.
2. Choose your audition file, ensure you’ve named it according to the guidelines above and click the ‘Upload’ button.
Congratulations, you have submitted your online audition for NSSO 2023!